Sunday 16 February 2014

February's Ongoing Books

Hey guys! Sorry, there was a REALLY big gap between this post and the last one, but I've been busy with revision and college and all the boring real world stuff and much as I would like to spend all day on the internet, it's just not possible. Boo. But anyway, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to do a post about the books I currently have on the go. Now, there is quite a lot (8 I believe) so bear with me.

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

11870085 Cover and description from Goodreads
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I have this book on Kindle, and I'm about halfway through. I realise I was a little late on the bandwagon, but I am enjoying this story so much. In fact, I don't think a book has ever made me cry so soon into it on the first reading (and I'm a huge emotional wreck, guys). It's taking me so long to finish it because I was to savor it, not rush through it, and so I only read it when I have the time and concentration to dedicate to it. I almost don't want this book to end, and I'm not quite sure what I'll do when it does.

 Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

6357708 Cover and description from Goodreads
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

This is a library book that I took out for one of my challenges this year (the Fur and Fangs challenge, read my sign up here ). It's about two sisters who hunt werewolves, and I've only just started it but so far it seems pretty good. I'm hoping to finish this within the next few days because it seems quite a fast paced, quick, easy read.

The Terrace by Maria Duffy

15783306 Cover and description from Goodreads
Nestled in the heart of Dublin city, St Enda's Terrace is like any other close-knit community: warm, colourful, looks after its own.
But behind closed doors lie secrets . . .
In Number Eight he wants a baby, she doesn't. The guy a few doors down just wants to find love. Across the street a single mum struggles to cope. While the people next door might appear to have it all, their mortgage holder knows different.
When the street syndicate wins the National Lottery, it seems that things are looking up. Enter a New York production company on a mission to document a 'quintessential' Dublin community - just as it becomes clear that the winning ticket is nowhere to be found.
Facades begin to crumble in the scramble to uncover the missing ticket and, as the gloves come off for the once unremarkable residents of St Enda's, it's game on with everything to play for.


This book is also for a challenge (the Ireland challenge, on the same sign up sheet as above) and I borrowed this from my gran. I'd never heard of it before but from the few chapters I've read, it seems to be quite fun. This one is on the backburner for a little while though, while I finish my library books first.

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

1278752  Cover and description from Goodreads
Summer 1924

On the eve of a glittering society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again.

Winter 1999

Grace Bradley, ninety-eight, one-time housemaid of Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and old memories - long consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind - begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge, something history has forgotten but Grace never could.

Set as the war-shattered Edwardian summer surrenders to the decadent twenties, The House at Riverton is a thrilling mystery and a compelling love story.
 


I've been reading this one for quite a while now as, despite really loving it, I find I can only read a little at a time most of the time. I seem to alternate between not wanting the book to end (and therefore not reading any), and being desperate to know what happens (and so reading 100s of pages in a day). However, this one too is on the backburner because of those pesky library deadlines.

Eyewitness Travel Guide to London

No other guidebook series can boast as many beautiful photographs and illustrations as DK's Eyewitness series. Packed with color photographs and maps, this bestselling series covers a wide range of global destinations. With listings of great hotels, restaurants, and shops, as well as historical information, travelers will find it easy to plan an exciting itinerary using these beautiful guidebooks. A special feature of DK's travel guides is the stunning three-dimensional views and cutaway models of significant landmarks. These guides also include easy-to-follow sections on making sense of foreign currency, transportation, and communication systems. Balancing an elegant format with comprehensive information, DK's Eyewitness guidebooks are both practical resources and great souvenirs of your trip.

Description from Goodreads

This book fits nicely into my Nonfiction challenge (on the same sign up page as the other two) but I'm also reading it because my best friend and I are thinking about going to London this summer. We've been before a couple of times, but only for a few days and we've only really visited the shopping parts. I thought reading this might give me some good ideas about what else we could do. I did borrow this from said friend so I should really try to finish it this week.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

6514 Cover and description from Goodreads
Sylvia Plath's shocking, realistic, and intensely emotional novel of a woman falling into the grips of insanity. 

I took this out of my college library because, being an aspiring Psychotherapist, anything that deals with the mind or mental states interests me a lot. I'm halfway through this so hopefully I'll finish it this week so I can give it back when I go back to college.

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel

 227603 Cover and description from Goodreads
A harrowing story of breakdowns, suicide attempts, drug therapy, and an eventual journey back to living, this poignant and often hilarious book gives voice to the high incidence of depression among America's youth. A collective cry for help from a generation who have come of age entrenched in the culture of divorce, economic instability, and AIDS, here is the intensely personal story of a young girl full of promise, whose mood swings have risen and fallen like the lines of a sad ballad.

This is also from my college library, and I took it out because, again, it deals with mental issues and was compared to The Bell Jar, which I am enjoying so far. This is also going to count for my Nonfiction challenge, as it's a memoir. I'm hoping to finish this one this week as well, as when I pick it up I can't seem to be able to put it down!

When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

8874743 Cover and description from Goodreads

This is a book about a brother and a sister. It's a book about secrets and starting over, friendship and family, triumph and tragedy, and everything in between. More than anything, it's a book about love in all its forms.

In a remarkably honest and confident voice, Sarah Winman has written the story of a memorable young heroine, Elly, and her loss of innocence- a magical portrait of growing up and the pull and power of family ties. From Essex and Cornwall to the streets of New York, from 1968 to the events of 9/11, When God Was a Rabbit follows the evolving bond of love and secrets between Elly and her brother Joe, and her increasing concern for an unusual best friend, Jenny Penny, who has secrets of her own. With its wit and humor, engaging characters whose eccentricities are adroitly and sometimes darkly drawn, and its themes of memory and identity, When God Was a Rabbit is a love letter to true friendship and fraternal love.

This is the final book I'm reading right now, and it's also from my college library. I've heard a lot about this one over the years, so when I saw it I thought I'd give it a go. I read the little prologue thing at the start and thought it sounded really intriguing and now, a few chapters in, it's just as good as I thought, maybe even better. This one is officially my bedtime reading material right now.

I know this seems like a lot of books to have on the go at once, but most are so vastly different from each other that the plots all keep straight in my head. I'm pretty confident I can finish quite a few of them in my halfterm break this week. 

Hopefully, my next post will come quicker than this one did, as I'm off college for a week so I have a little more spare time. In the meantime though, why don't you guys comment below what you're currently reading? Are you enjoying it? Or are you just thankful you're almost at the end? 


No comments:

Post a Comment