Monday 20 January 2014

Library Haul

I haven't been to the library in ages, but I had a little time yesterday so I thought I'd pop in. I only took three books out, but they all seemed interesting, AND I found a couple to start my reading challenges this year. The books are:

Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough

9206583 Cover and description from Goodreads

Beware of Long Lankin, that lives in the moss. . . .When Cora and her younger sister, Mimi, are sent to stay with their elderly aunt in the isolated village of Byers Guerdon, they receive a less than warm welcome. Auntie Ida is eccentric and rigid, and the girls are desperate to go back to London. But what they don't know is that their aunt's life was devastated the last time two young sisters were at Guerdon Hall, and she is determined to protect her nieces from an evil that has lain hidden for years. Along with Roger and Peter, two village boys, Cora must uncover the horrifying truth that has held Bryers Guerdon in its dark grip for centuries -- before it's too late for little Mimi. Riveting and intensely atmospheric, this stunning debut will hold readers in its spell long after the last page is turned.

This book isn't to fit in with any challenges, but the idea of it appealed to me, as well as the fact that it is based on an actual legend, and so I thought I'd try it out.


Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

6357708 Cover and description from Goodreads

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an axe and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

This book fits perfectly in the Fangs and Fur challenge as it's about werewolves and two girls who hunt them. I think the premise of the book sounds good as it's a retelling of the fairy-tale Red Riding Hood. I can't wait to read this one (also, I love how pretty the cover is!).


Bog Girl by Siobhan Dowd

2856645 Cover and description from Goodreads

DIGGING FOR PEAT in the mountain with his Uncle Tally, Fergus finds the body of a child, and it looks like she’s been murdered. As Fergus tries to make sense of the mad world around him—his brother on hunger-strike in prison, his growing feelings for Cora, his parents arguing over the Troubles, and him in it up to the neck, blackmailed into acting as courier to God knows what—a little voice comes to him in his dreams, and the mystery of the bog child unfurls. 

This one is by an Irish author, contains Irish characters and, I believe, is set in Ireland! What a perfect way to start my Ireland challenge. This idea also sounded interesting to me, but isn't the sort of thing I'd usually read so we'll see how it goes.


So thus concludes my library haul this time. I'm already quite a bit through Long Lankin, and I hope to start Sisters Red tonight so hopefully I'll have a review or two coming soon! If anyone has read any of these books and enjoyed them (or not!), please leave a comment saying what you liked or didn't like! Bye for now...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment