Sunday 26 January 2014

Buying books from Charity Shops

Hey guys! I love browsing in bookshops, and if I could I would spend all day in Waterstones, looking through the shelves for my next babies. However, I am a student and don't have a full-time job so this dream is slightly unrealistic. That's why I love my Kindle so much - the books are so much cheaper and easier to find, particularly if they're not very new ones (I've done a post on the Pros and Cons of a Kindle if you want to have a gander at that). However, my next favourite thing is buying books from charity shops. I love the thought that the book has brought joy to someone else, and they then gave it away so it can bring joy to me. Additionally, the books are so cheap, which of course is a big bonus. I don't usually buy books but I saw a complete trilogy in my local Oxfam shop and each book was just 99p! I was powerless to resist...

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

28194 Cover and description from Goodreads

Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.

Characters from books literally leap off the page in this engrossing fantasy. Meggie has had her father to herself since her mother went away when she was young. Mo taught her to read when she was five, and the two share a mutual love of books. He can "read" characters out of books. When she was three, he read aloud from a book called Inkheart and released characters into the real world. At the same time, Meggie's mother disappeared into the story. This "story within a story" will delight not just fantasy fans, but all readers who like an exciting plot with larger-than-life characters.


Cornelia Funke has been recommended to me several times, and I've also heard her name crop up in many YouTube videos I've seen. This book sounded really interesting, and I do like a bit of fantasy. Since it was so cheap (and the money is going to a good cause) I thought I'd try it out. I also got the second and third books in The Inkworld Trilogy at the same time...

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

28195Cover and description from Goodreads

The captivating sequel to INKHEART, the critically acclaimed, international bestseller by Cornelia Funke, an author who is emerging as a truly modern classic writer for children.

Although a year has passed, not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of INKHEART, the book whose characters became real. But for Dustfinger, the fire-eater brought into being from words, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller with the ability to read him back, Dustfinger leaves behind his young apprentice Farid and plunges into the medieval world of his past. Distraught, Farid goes in search of Meggie, and before long, both are caught inside the book, too. But the story is threatening to evolve in ways neither of them could ever have imagined.


Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

2325825 Cover and description from Goodreads

CAUGHT BETWEEN THE COVERS OF A CURSED STORY...

Ever since the extraordinary events of Inkspell, when the enchanted book Inkheart drew Meggie and her father, Mo, into its chapters, life in the Inkworld has been more tragic than magical.

The fire-eater Dustfinger is dead, having sacrificed his life for his apprentice Farid's, and now, under the rule of the evil Adderhead, the fairy-tale land is in bloody chaos, its characters far beyond the control of Fenoglio, their author. Even Elinor, left behind in the real world, believes her family to be lost - lost between the covers of a book.

Facing the threat of eternal winter, Mo inks a dangerous deal with Death itself. There yet remains a faint hope of changing the cursed story - if only he can fill its pages fast enough.


I think this series sounds quite interesting and I can't wait to see what I think of it. I'll be sure to put up reviews of the books when I get to them (They are perching precariously on the top of a massive to-read pile so...)  

No comments:

Post a Comment